Spike in Religiously UnaffiliatedSpike in Religiously Unaffiliated by PyrrhusiVictoria
It's difficult to ignore the headlines today like "Losing Our Religion: Report Shows Spike in Shunning Church", "Millennials Leaving Church in Droves, Study Finds", and "Christians Drop, 'Nones' Soar in New Religion Portrait" (SacBee, CNN, and USA respectively). They are referencing a Pew Research Center study published today about "America's Changing Religious Landscape" http://www.pewforum.org/2015/05/12/americas-changing-religious-landscape/
The basic gist is that in 2007, those who identified as unaffiliated with a religion stood at about 16% nationally (in the U.S.A.), and by 2014, that percentage has spiked to nearly 23% nationally. Meanwhile, all categories of Christianity have dropped. The "nones" are now a larger percentage of the population than Catholics or Mainline Protestants, and are just about 2% away from the percentage of Evan
Bad Christian Ethics: there is no victimless sexThe Josh Duggar scandal has brought up a lot of conversations about conservative Christian sexual ethics. A lot of important concepts have been brought up, such as Libby Anne's "two boxes" and Captain Cassidy's discussion of in-group hypocrisy. All of this has gotten my own gears turning, trying to make sense of the people who are flocking to defend a child molester, while simultaneously insisting that teenaged couple going on a date to Disneyland is equally as sinful. And I think this brings me to the entire justification for the two boxes and hypocrisy: in conservative Christian sexual ethics, there is no such thing as victimless non-marital sex.Bad Christian Ethics: there is no victimless sex by EternalGeekExposed
People who believe that gay sex and rape belong in the sa
Coming out as an AtheistI have been debating on doing this for a long time and I feel that I have to before I start my third youtube channel that is dedicated solely towards atheism. Yes, I am now an atheist. You can feel free to unwatch me or kick me out of your groups. Let me just explain WHY I became an atheist.Coming out as an Atheist by Ozultima
For the longest time I have been agnostic. I believed in the possibility of a god but wasn't exactly sure. I went from Catholic to Jewish to Luthern to Jehovah Witness to Atheist in my quest to 'find God'. Nothing had all the answers. One day I typed in Yahweh in the youtube browser to see if I could find worship songs. I clicked on a video called conversation to Yahweh, curious. I accidentally stumbled onto an atheist video. I was a little offended at first but then I thought about it and some of the things just made sense. I then started watching atheist videos thinking that I was a sort of double agent really testing my faith to see if
11 rules of earth.1. Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.11 rules of earth. by n0-username
2. Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
3. When in another’s lair, show him respect or else do not go there.
4. If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.
5. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
6. Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.
7. Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.
8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
9. Do not harm little children.
10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.
11. When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.
Want to know more about Secular-Human?
Read About Us
Got a question? It's probably already been answered in the FAQ section in About Us.
We especially encourage you to read the FAQ if you disagree with the mission and values of Secular Humanism before commenting!
|More Journal Entries|